This facility, originally named the SouthWest Denver Community Center, was formed by Grace Methodist Church who purchased the land 1930’s because they saw the need for a community center in this area. The community center cornerstone was laid in 1957.
In the 1970’s, the City of Denver purchased the Center and leased it back for $1 per year to the SouthWest Community Center Board. In return, the City obtained Model Cities’ monies to build a library, health clinic and child care center.
In the late-1980’s, the Southwest Community Center board had difficulty paying the utility bills and other obligations. The Board split, with both factions claiming to be the ‘real’ board with access to the bank accounts. As a result, the City renamed this facility the Westwood Community Center, and chose one of the factions to be the ones receiving the mail and having access to the bank accounts.
436 total views, no views today